National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK)
- NCSK is statutory body established under National Commission for Safai Karamcharis Act, 1993
- It was established in 1994 to deal with the grievances of persons engaged in manual scavenging.
- It aims to promote and safeguard interests and rights of Safai Karamcharis and Manual Sacavengers and works for welfare of both.
- It is mandated to work towards elimination of inequalities in status facilities and opportunities for Safai Karamcharis.
- It has important role to ensure rehabilitation of all identified manual scavengers on time-bound basis. It is mandate is to study, evaluate and monitor implementation of various schemes for Safai Karamcharis as autonomous organisation.
- Under Section 31 of Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act 2013, NCSK perform flowing functions
- To monitor the implementation of the Act.
- To enquire into complaints regarding contravention of the provisions of the Act, and to convey its findings to the concerned authorities with recommendations requiring further action.
- To advise the Central and the State Governments for effective implementation of the provisions of the Act.
- To take suo motu notice of matter relating to non-implementation of the Act.
National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC)
- National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) which is a government undertaking under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, had issued an advisory to all municipalities and panchayats for ensuring safety of sanitation workers and waste collectors.
- Established in 1997, NSKFDC works as an apex organisation for the all-around socio-economic upliftment of the Safai Karamcharis, Scavengers and their dependents all over India, through various loan and non-loan based schemes.
- The scheme promotes economic development activities of the safai karamcharis.
- The scheme also helps safai karamcharis in income generating schemes by way of loans, subsidies, advances, or grants.
- The scheme extends loans to students from the community for pursuing professional or technical education.
- It also engages in promoting training, quality control, technology up-gradation, and common facility centres for carrying out sanitation works.
- It helps in upskilling of personnel from the community in technical and entrepreneurial skills.
- The scheme also assists self-employed members of the community in procuring raw materials or other outputs or in marketing finished goods and services in units set up by them.