6th Social Science – 1st Term Book Back
& Questions Answers (Notes)
1. What is History
I. Choose the correct answer:
1. What was the step taken by the early man to collect his food?
d) rearing of animals
Answer: b) hunting
II. Match the Statement with the Reason. Tick the appropriate answer:
1. Statement: Pre historic man went along with the dog for hunting.
Reason: Dogs with its sniffing power would find out other animals.
a) Statement is true, but Reason is wrong.
b) Statement and reason are correct.
c) Statement is wrong and reason is correct.
d) Both statement and reason are wrong.
Answer: b) Statement and reason are correct
2. Statement: The objects used by the early man are excavated. They are preserved to know the lifestyle of the people.
Find out which of the following is related to the statement.
b) Burial materials
c) Stone tools
Answer: a) Museum
3.Find out the wrong pair
a) Old stone age – i) Stone tools
b) Rock paintings – ii) Walls of the caves
c) Copper plates – iii) A source of history
d) Cats – iv) First domesticated.
Answer: d) Cats – iv) First domesticated
4. Find the odd one
a) Paintings were drawn on rocks and caves.
b) There were paintings depicting hunting scenes.
c) It was drawn to show his family members about hunting.
d) The paintings were painted by using many colours.
Answer: d) The paintings were painted by using many colours
III. Fill in the blanks
1. The old stone age man lived mostly in caves.
2. Herodotus is the father of history.
3. Dog was the first animal tamed by Old Stone Age man.
4. Inscriptions are archaeological sources.
5. Dharma Chakra has 24 spokes.
IV. State True or False
- Stone tools belonging to Old Stone Age has been excavated at Athtirampakkam near Chennai.
- The materials used by the ancient people are preserved in the museums by the Archaeological Department
- During the period of Ashoka, Buddhism spread across the country. Answer: True
V. Match the following
1. Rock paintings – a) Copper plates
2. Written records – b) The most famous king
3. Ashoka – c) Devaram
4. Religious literature – d) to understand the life style
1. Rock paintings – d) to understand the life style
2. Written records -a) Copper plates
3. Ashoka – b) The most famous king
4. Religious literature -c) Devaram
VI.Answer in One words:
1. Can you say any tow advantages of writing diary?
i) Diary writing helps to record the events.
ii) It reveals the life style of people of that period.
2. How do we know the people’s lifestyle of the Old Stone Age?
We understand the life style of people of Old Stone Age from used stone tools, their paintings fossils,rocks,walls of the caves and other excavated materials.
3. Is inscription a written record?
Yes, Inscription is a written record
4. What is proto history?
Proto history is the period between prehistory and history.
5. Name an epic.
Ramayana, Mahabharatha, Manimegalai.
VII. Answer the following :
1. What is History?
i) History is a record of past events in chronological order.
ii) The term History has been divided from the Greek word Istoria which means learning by enquiry.
2. What do you know about the prehistoric period?
i) The period between the use of first stone tools and the invention of writing system is called the prehistory.
ii) Stone tools, excavated materials and rock paintings are the major sources of pre- history.
3. What are the sources available to know about the prehistoric period?
Paintings on the rocks and the walls of the caves, stone tools, and excavated materials are the sources available to know about the pre-histories period.
4. Mention the places from where we got prehistoric tools.
- Rock shelters of Bhimbetka and
- Edakkal caves
5. What are the benefits of a museum?
i) Museums are community centres designed to inform and teach the public.
ii) The educational benefit of a museum is academic learning.
iii) Museums are the caretakers of history as much as they offer connections to history.
iv) Museums are full of stories, and it is interesting for students to hear those stories.
v) Museums offer opportunities for children to compare and contrast leading to critical thinking skills.
vi) Children’s curiosity comes out in the form of questions.
vii) Students are expose to new ideas and concepts.
viii) Museums inspire students to wonder, imagine and dream of possibilities that are beyond what they know.
ix) Students are exposed to opportunism that spark creative moments.
6. Name some tools used by early man to hunt animals.
i) Weapons made of stones ii) Bones iii) Weapons made of Branches iv) Horns of animals
7. Why were paintings drawn on rocks?
i) Paintings could have been drawn on rocks to convey their lifestyles to the future generations.
ii) They might have wished to record their activities through their paintings.
8. Name any tow artifacts?
Some of the artifacts are potteries, toys, tools and ornaments.
1. How dogs were useful to pre-historic men?
i) There might have been chances of wild animals entering their caves.
ii) But, they realized that dogs could help them prevent the entry of such dangerous animals.
iii) They thought that dog by its sniffling skill would help them in such situations.
2. Compare the lifestyle of Old Stone Age man with present day lifestyle.
|Old Stone Age man||Present day lifestyle|
|1. Old Stone Age man was nomads||1. Settled in village and town|
|2. Old stone age people did not live in a safe environment||2. People in the modern period live in a safe environment.|
|3. Wore dresses made out of leaves, barks of trees and skin of animals||3. Wears dresses made out of cotton and other materials.|
|4. Not Civilized||4. Well Civilized|
|5. Ate Vegetables, Fruits and roots which he gathered from the Jungles.||5. Eat all kinds of food grains|
|6. Took shelters on branches of trees, in holes and Caves.||6. Lives in Well built Houses|
IX. Student Activity
- Write down the important events of your family with years. Draw a timeline with the help of your teacher or with your classmates.
- Early man used stones as a weapon.Make an album showing the various uses of stone.
3. Identify the category of the following sources of history.
a. Urns excavated from Adhichanallur.
b. Copper plates of Velvikudi.
f. The earthernwares from Keezhadi.
g. Toys of Indus
h. Big Temple of Thanjavur.
|a. Urns excavated from Adhichanallur.||Artefacts (Archaeological)|
|b. Copper plates of Velvikudi.||Inscription (Archaeological)|
|c. Mahabharatha.||Religions Literature (Literary Sources)|
|d. Sanchi||Monuments (Archaeological)|
|e. Pattinappaalai.||Literary Sources|
|f. The earthernwares from Keezhadi.||Artefacts (Archaeological)|
|g. Toys of Indus||Artefacts (Archaeological)|
|h. Big Temple of Thanjavur.||Monuments (Archaeological)|
XI. Answer Grid
|Early men scribbled and painted on me…Today they used me to build houses and lay roads. who am I?
|Name any two archaeologi- cal sources?
Ans: Monuments, Inscriptions, Artefacts
|Name the types of liter- ary sources?
Ans: Secular, Religious
Ans: Before Common Era
|what is the meaning of the Greek word “Istoria” ?
Ans: Learning by Enquiry
Ans: Common Era
| is the study inscrip- tion.
| is the study of coins.
|I can help you to talk, see, hear, write and read. There is no world without me. Who am I?
Ans: Source of History
XII. Map work
Mark the following places in the political map of India.
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh e. Kerala
6th std social science book,6th std social science book cbse,6th std social science guide,6th std social science guide english medium pdf,6th std social science worksheet,6th std social science textbook pdf,6th std social science text book,6th std social science notes,6th std social science book back question answer,6th std social science syllabus,6th std social science notes,6th standard social science notes,6th standard social science notes pdf,6th std social science 3rd term,6th standard social science third term,6th standard social science 3rd term book,6th standard social science 2nd term,6th standard social science second term,6th standard social science 3rd term,6th standard social science first term question paper,6th standard social science book 1st term,6th standard social science book 2nd term,6th standard social science question paper 3rd term,